Monday, October 15, 2018

Finding a home church #2

Premonition or coincidence?

In my search for a church I considered all the options in La Jolla, saw where the churches were located, maybe checked online a little. But one morning I woke up and the first thing I thought of was Mt. Soledad Presbyterian Church at the top of Nautilus. It was so vivid and clear I thought I'd better followup on this and look for God to confirm His will.

That morning I drove the 2 miles and parked near the church to scope it out. There were two almost filled parking lots and I was amazed because it was a Saturday. I went to look a little closer and saw a long table with coffee and cookies. I liked that it was Starbucks coffee. Shows people are thinking beyond 7/11 and other coffee venues. When a fellow came out, I asked him if he church is busy like this every day. No, the church isn't that busy usually. But on Saturday it's the meeting place of the largest coed Alcoholics Anonymous in San Diego.

I thought that was a plus for the church that when the facility isn't being used by the church, it can be reserved for community needs. Two stars so far. I walked around the outside of the building, saw all the people sitting in chairs (not built in pews. Three stars.) From where I was standing I admired the view of the Mt. Soledad Cross, noting that it is the same color as the church. I could hear a choir singing, which isn't my thing, but I found out later that a choir practices there for community events.

There must be at least an acre in front of the church that is unused and full of low-lying weeds. There is sparse landscaping around the church building. I liked that idea of leaving land fallow so the rain can better penetrate the water table. Star number 4. Since then I've been thinking of ways the land could be used and planting trees is the top of my list. (But no one has asked my opinion so mums the word for now.)

I returned home and immediately checked the church web site to see how much I could learn from what has been posted, and I became well informed about the church and its small membership (100).
I found out later there had been a split seven years prior when 2/3 of the congregants left the Presbyterians and started another church.

There's much more, which I will write in subsequent posts. Mt. Soledad Presbyterian Church

No comments:

Post a Comment