Monday, August 15, 2011

Reading the Ending First

I don't always read the end of a book to see how it turns out, but if a book is so invigorating that I can't sleep, I have to look ahead. Does he live/not live is settled and I can get to sleep. Otherwise my adrenaline will keep me awake wondering. I don't have to read the end of nonfiction books (duh) and know that the protagonist lives if the story's told in a first person narrative. The character would have to survive to write the book. Yet, "Lovely Bones" was written by the dead girl, but you already know she's dead.


Some say it spoils the fun of reading if you already know the ending. On the other hand, it's a much more relaxing and enjoyable experience to go back and finish the book without all the unnecessary anxiety.


Finding a book to read in the first place is truly a science. I've applied a couple of simple rules: read the book jacket, read the first chapter, flip to the middle of the book...is there enough to make me interested in reading it? If so I'll start again from the beginning. There are too many books to read one that's boring or not well written.

No comments:

Post a Comment