Thursday, August 18, 2011

Extraordinary Uses for Ordinary Things

I was in the process of buying a new garbage disposal because the one we have is at least 15 years old and wasn't doing a very good job. Instead, I put in two trays of ice cubes and turned on the disposal. It now has sharp blades. Cool, huh?

Every time I go into the room at Warwicks to wrap a gift it seems like there are even more pairs of scissors than the last time I was there. Rather than buy a new set of scissors every time one is dull, sharpen it cutting into aluminum foil. About 10 cuts through the double-layered foil will sharpen the dullest pair.

The gasket around the clothes washer door reeked of mildew. Replacing it would cost $300+. Instead, I soft-scrubbed as many folds as I could reach and then ran a cycle using white vinegar. No more mildew.

Makes me want to check the web about so many other things that cost money and could be avoided.

No comments:

Post a Comment