Saturday, August 11, 2012

The Bee Sting (Poor me)

A while back I got stung by a bee in the bookstore. Yes, I was inside. I got stung behind my left ear while I was moving books. When I bent down to pick up some books I thought a spider had gotten on my head, so I brushed it off. But not before the nonspider stung me. I saw the bee fly to the floor and I stepped on it. (I picked it up with a tissue later to show people the bee in case they didn't believe me.) I ran next door to Burns Drugs to see if they had anything to use on bee stings. We didn't have any baking soda at the store. (You can make a small poultice from baking soda and water and apply it to the sting, or so I'm told.) There were only two clerks in the store and they both had lines of people waiting to be helped. So I went back to the book store, my ear hurting from the top to the lobe. It felt like a vice was tightening around my ear. It didn't get any worse, so I went back to work. A few people later said they had heard I'd been stung by a bee and wanted to see my swollen ear. Meanwhile when I was in pain I couldn't get any sympathy from my coworkers because they were too busy helping customers. Not that I was looking for sympathy (much). I just needed a little hand holding and someone telling me how awful it was that I got stung by a bee in the store. I think that was the worst part of the whole thing: No one had time to pity me.

No comments:

Post a Comment