Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Good to the Last Drop

I'm dating myself, but Maxwell House commercials always ended with that line, "Good to the Last Drop."

I started drinking coffee a while back, much to the chagrin of my dentist, because of the stain. When I'm out, I'll stop at a 7-11 or the AM-PM, which is where I went today. Misty sat in the back seat while I put gas in my car and I convinced myself that a mid-afternoon coffee would be tasty. I got a medium coffee, but it was too hot to drink. I'll usually find something in to cool it off, if nothing else a little water from the bottle in the car.

When I saw the ice selection on the nearby soda choices, I thought "a piece of ice will cool this off.." But when I pulled the little handle, about five ice cubes landed in the cup. That cooled it off, but it also watered down the coffee so much that it was almost tasteless. Well, I had to buy that cup, so I looked around for something to give it some flavor. I emptied three of the half and half containers, two packets of Sweet & Lo, and spritzed some chocolate flavoring from one of the choices. Still no flavor.

So when I got home, I put the coffee in the microwave for 30 seconds, again making it too hot to drink. But I wasn't going to put any water in it. A little cream would cool it off. I love mocha coffee, so I put three heaping spoonfuls of hot cocoa powder in the coffee. Finally, it had some flavor. As I was finishing it, and drank to the bottom of the cup, there was a thick syrup at the bottom. I'm presuming this was the sediment from all my efforts to reverse my iced, tasteless coffee, into something that was worth swallowing.

I'm curious to go back and do a calorie count on all the additions I made to that $1.59 coffee. Or maybe not.

No comments:

Post a Comment