Thursday, July 9, 2015

Do you work here?

One of my Warwicks' colleagues used to feel aggravated at customers who asked, while he was in the middle of stocking books on the shelf, whether he worked there. It is difficult to know if a person is a store employee when there isn't any identification as such, or a smock, or company tee shirt. 

When I'm at Vons or CVS I, too, wonder if the person works there when I see the guy loading eggs into the cooler, or restocking cans, because it can often be the vendor who provides that service. But usually the store has a colored smock that helps. 

Instead of responding to a customer's request with something like "No, I'm a volunteer" or something equally snarky, a pleasant "How can I help you?" is a sufficient answer. If an employee is behind the counter, it's a pretty sure bet that they do, indeed, work there. 

But I've been in stores in which I'm dressed business casual and customers will turn to ask me questions. If I know the answer, I will tell them (where is the restroom? what time do you get off?) without identifying myself either way. Or I will suggest they check at the front counter. If it's a pretty fancy store I might say "I wish," or something equally profound. 

It used to bother me at the book store when a customer would turn to ask for help finding a book, and another customer turns and takes up the conversation. "Oh, my husband read that book and loved it. I'll show you where it is." Other customers have interrupted me to give their opinions, at which point I stand back and, if they become engaged in a conversation, I quietly walk away.

No comments:

Post a Comment