Saturday, July 4, 2015

Forcing a smile for the sake of a real one

A popular adage is to "fake it 'til you make it." Going to parties if you want to be outgoing and charismatic, you act that way. At least that's the adage's lesson.

One thing I do when I go for a walk or go shopping is I smile as wide as I can, and then hold that pose for at least five minutes. Many times it counters my true feelings. That time grinning is spent looking at the ground; otherwise it would be a bit weird. After this exercise, I find it much easier to come up with a pleasant smile through the day.

This especially helped when I worked at Warwicks. I would want to coach other staff members to try my exercise before they arrived for their shift. Forcing a smile when you haven't used those muscles until then looks like the person is being pinched. Practicing beforehand makes it easier to smile with your eyes, which is a lot different from turning the corners up on your lips in a pseudo-smile.


No comments:

Post a Comment