Sunday, July 26, 2015

Running from the waves

My favorite morning walks of late is from the Pacific Beach Grand Ave. lifeguard tower to the jetty in Mission Beach, then taking the #8 back to my car. I meet so many interesting beach goers, especially the ones with families. Nice talk with a Denver dad (about the popular marijuana laws in his state) at the beach with his daughters for their first visit.

I found a stainless steel ring in the sand, and it was a little too big for my right hand ring finger. (I know silver and this ring was much too heavy.) Earlier I met Zee and her husband, Frank, both from Croatia, who were scanning the beach with metal detectors. He had collected at least $20,000 in jewelry and cash in the years he has patiently walked the shore, carrying his detector just above the sand. Zee said she was going to retire soon, as the sand was hard on her ankles and she looked forward to sleeping in. Every day they visit a beach, arriving soon after 4 a.m. Frank sells the detectors, too. At 10 pm they meet fellow treasure hunters for breakfast and share their stories of adventure. In my case I was just looking down and found my ring, which has been relegated to a bowl of other beach finds (shells, a colorful rock) for future investigation.

One mum had her four kids playing in the water, but her two preschool Ethiopian adoptees were afraid of the waves, while their siblings frolicked. The unpredictability of the water rushing in, and the effect it would have, must have been disconcerting. One wonders if they or someone in their family have faced past similar circumstances, making them naturally wary of the unknown.


No comments:

Post a Comment