Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Not winning the lottery

I know that my chances of winning the lottery are as good as getting struck by lightning. But taking that argument a bit further, one must stand in a lightning storm to have any chance, yes? So that's why I regularly play the lottery.

I recently checked at "Are Your Favorite Numbers Lucky?" and entered my birthday as my but came up dry. Rather than fill out the paperwork, which I have yet to comprehend at the 7/11, I choose "quick pick" which selects numbers at random.

I have heard some miraculous stories about serendipity in which one fellow, who only wanted a hot dog, asked the cashier for quick picks in change for his $100 bill."Man Stops for Hotdog, Wins Lottery"consequently won $150 million. Then there's the group of coworkers who split the $25 million jackpot, or the regular cafe customer who left his lottery ticket for his favorite waitress, resulting in her huge jackpot. (A true story on which Nicholas Cage stars in one of my favorite rom-coms, "It Could Happen to You")

I could always use the numbers on the back of fortune cookies, which garnered 110 cookie lovers with their portion of the winning pot, "Fortune Cookie Winners" .

When I would walk from my house to San Diego State I would often stop at a donut shop. Class started in 20 minutes, so I was in a hurry. Once the clerk rang up my purchase she asked if there was anything else I'd like to have besides a donut? No, thanks, I'm in a rush. She walked into a back room to presumedly talk to her boss, and when she returned I was red in the face in impatience. "Are you sure that's all that you want?"

After hurriedly handing her the money for my maple bar, the cashier explained that my receipt had come up with a red star (which happens to every thousandth customer, I assume) which meant I could have had anything in the store I wanted to buy.

Jeez. I should have at least ordered a dozen donuts and a thermos of coffee.

Well, I did enjoy my donut and I made it to class on time. I should have at least ordered a dozen donuts and a thermos of coffee.

Being a winner is possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment