Saturday, July 4, 2015

Jumping rope among critics

I am really trying to get more exercise. Men's Health magazine said it's important to have activity for at least five minutes every hour when you are sedentary. A brisk walk around the block, a dozen pushups, or jumping rope can reinvigorate you within just a few minutes. If I took a nap I would be out for at least 20 minutes, but I WOULD have to walk to my bed, and the way I feel much of the time it might take me five minutes just to do that.

For the last few months I have occasionally stood on our back patio to relearn jumping rope. Considering I never really learned how to jump rope for any length of time, this isn't just a refresher course. But the patio opens to the canyon, where six homes' backyards leave plenty of viewing room for activities.

So when I'm trying to jump rope at least four consecutive hops I imagine all the neighbors watching me and giving me a critique of my lame style. Needing to jump higher is pretty much a given.

"The jumprope is too slack so it never makes it passed his toes. No wonder he can't get over the rope; he's not holding it wide enough. If he wants to do more than three spins he needs to twirl the rope faster..."

I take all these ideas in and make the rope tighter, wider, and faster and maybe I do five hops before the rope comes up behind me and slaps my backside. I do make sure I'm wearing shoes so the rope doesn't hit my toes, reminding me that I need to jump higher.

I wish my neighbors would go into THEIR backyard and jump rope. Then I can be their imaginary critic.

No comments:

Post a Comment